Ronny Chieng is a Chinese stand-up comedian and actor born in Johor Bahru, Malaysia, raised in Malaysia, USA and Singapore, who graduated from the University of Melbourne in Australia in 2009 with a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Commerce.
Ronny started performing comedy in Melbourne in 2009. Since then he has toured 4 sold out global stand up comedy theatre tours in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, India, Canada and London. Ronny has been invited to the Just for Laughs Comedy Festival in Montreal in 2012, 2013, 2015 and 2016. He made his US television debut on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson in 2015.
He has sold out his stand up comedy tours at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe, the SOHO Theatre in London, the Sydney Opera House, Melbourne Town Hall, the Enmore Theatre in Sydney, the Esplanade concert hall in Singapore and PJ Live Arts in Malaysia, and was also invited to open for Dave Chappelle and Bill Burr on their national stand up comedy tours of Australia.
In Australia Ronny has written and acted in multiple television comedy shows such as Problems (2012), Legally Brown (2014), It’s a Date (2013-2014), Kinne (2015) and more.
In 2016 also co-created and starred in his own TV comedy pilot “International Student” on ABC (Australia) which was nominated for Cutting Edge Short Film Production of the Year at the 16th Screen Producers Australia Awards and was nominated for Best Comedy Programme at the Asian Television Awards 2016 in Singapore.
Ronny has toured and recorded 4 one-hour stand up comedy specials – The Ron Way (2012), Can You Do This? No You Can’t. (2013), Chieng Reaction (2014), You Don’t Know What You’re Talking About (2015), which have received awards and nominations.
In 2015 Ronny moved to New York City after being hired as a correspondent on the Daily Show with Trevor Noah on Comedy Central. He also lost 11kg but that was unrelated to comedy.
In 2016 Ronny was named one of Variety’s 10 Comics to Watch.
In 2017 Ronny was cast in the Warner Bros. film “Crazy Rich Asians” based off the best-selling book by Kevin Kwan. He also co-wrote and starred in his own television comedy series “Ronny Chieng: International Student” which is currently airing on the ABC in Australia, the BBC, Comedy Central Asia and will be airing on Comedy Central in the USA in 2018.
2018 saw the release of his move debut “Crazy Rich Asians” which has swiftly become an international sensation and applauded by critics as “a tour de force” (LA Times), ‘thoroughly captivating’ (Hollywood Reporter), ‘breathless fun’ (Vanity Fair), and has earned a ‘confirmed fresh’ 92% rating on the highly revered Rotten Tomatoes ‘Tomatometer’.
In 2019 Ronny release his debut Netflix Stand-up Comedy Special “Asian Comedian Destroys America!”.
You can find his (almost) full television acting and personal appearances filmography here.
Awards & Nominations
- Nominated Cutting Edge Short Film Production of the Year for Ronny Chieng: International Student, 16th Annual Screen Producers Australia Awards
- Nominated Best Comedy Performer, Helpmann Awards 2014 & 2015
- Nominated Best Comedy Release, ARIA Awards 2014 & 2015
- Director’s Choice Award, Melbourne Intl. Comedy Festival 2014
- Best Show, Sydney Comedy Festival 2014
- Best Newcomer, Melbourne Intl. Comedy Festival 2012
TV & Film
- Crazy Rich Asians, feature film 2018
- Ronny Chieng: International Student, ABC, 2016
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah, Comedy Central, 2015-present
- Kinne, 2015
- The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson, 2015
- It’s a Date, 2013-2014
- Legally Brown, 2014
- Problems, 2012
- 2015 – You Don’t Know What You’re Talking About
- 2014 – Chieng Reaction
- 2013 – Can You Do This? No You Can’t.
- 2012 – The Ron Way
- “Chieng has a rapid-fire, confident style that never lets up… terrific debut.” **** The Age
- “… He’s sharp, he’s funny, he’s quick-witted…” **** The Herald Sun
- “… witheringly condescending… bluntly funny… impressive…” **** Chortle
- “… continuous laughs…” ***** The Age
- “Chieng is charming, challenging and downright hilarious.” The Pun